Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Back to work...

It is amazing how something may seem so important and in a minute mean nothing. Yesterday I was in court handling a very complicated case. At noon the court recessed and we were told to come back at 2pm for closing arguments. I remember how worried I was about the case as I was entering the elevator on my way out of the court house.
I have lunch at my house about 3 or 4 times a week. it gives me a chance to see my wife and twin daughters in the middle of my work day. I rushed to my house to grab a bite, kiss my girls and lock myself up in my home office to review my notes for my closing arguments.
As soon as I got home I learned that one of my girls was sick, she looked so weak and sad. My wife told me that she was about to take her to the pediatrician. I looked at my baby girl and there was no way I was going to leave her. That is my life right there and nothing else seemed to matter.
I also thought that it wouldn't be fair to my client to have his freedom on the line while his attorney was worried about his daughters health. I took a deep breath, got rid of my tie and jumped in the car. I called the judge and explained my situation and got a continuance for this Thursday.
My girl is doing better. i actually just got a call from my wife and my baby told me she loved me. Now I can work. I'm off to court...

No comments:

Post a Comment