Saturday, July 24, 2010

MY WAY

Believe it or not this is not the first time I create a blog. I've had a few, some were horrible and others were ok. I love writing but I have a huge problem when doing so. Don't know if I should write my posts in English or Spanish. Two major reasons: first, sometimes I feel like writing in Spanish while other times the ideas or stories I want to share are better explained in English. The second reason is that I want all my readers to be able to enjoy (how's that for self confidence) my posts. I don't have hundreds of readers but the fortunate few are split into Spanish or English speakers. Anyways, while I deal with this life threatening situation this one goes in English.

Songs (a first of many on songs)

My Way... Frank Sinatra

First the Lyrics
And now, the end is near,
And so I face the final curtain.
My friends, I'll say it clear;
I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full -
I've travelled each and every highway.
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets? I've had a few,
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -
Each careful step along the byway,
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,
When I bit off more than I could chew,
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried,
I've had my fill - my share of losing.
But now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that,
And may I say, not in a shy way -
Oh no. Oh no, not me.
I did it my way.

For what is a man? What has he got?
If not himself - Then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way.

Yes, it was my way.

It's a great song. The Ideal Macho, tough guy anthem. But as i get older I don't know if its my favorite anymore. It would be great to do everything My Way. But, if I did that I would probably hurt, disrespect and offend other people. I love singing it at the karaokes but honestly, who does anything their way? We go through life trying to say the right things, obeying laws, religion, codes of ethics and society's unwritten rules. The song is utopic, but if we want to keep friends, family and clients around its kind of tough to do everything OUR WAY. Just think of all the things you have done or changed to please or to avoid hurting someone.
By no means do I want to say the song is totally wrong. I just think it's hard to live a long life with this attitude.
Also, this is one of a very few group of songs that its translation to Spanish is Awesome. To be honest the Spanish version is deeper in meaning and many artists such as Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz have made amazing arrangements to it.

I read that Sinatra hated performing the song but it was such a huge hit that he couldn't avoid singing it night in and night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment